Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

How many of us as parents have had the battle within ourselves about Halloween? Some of you may not know what I am talking about because for you, as a child, Halloween was always a big night to get to go trick-or-treating, no questions asked. However, there are some, like me, who had parents that, out of love and a deep desire for our spiritual well-being, battled this holiday every year. I have had my own battles with Halloween since becoming a parent. I am well aware that there is a long history of "evil" associated with this night. I am also aware that there is a long history of "evil" associated with Easter and Christmas. However, that is not the spirit in which I celebrate Easter or Christmas, nor is it the spirit in which I celebrate Halloween. So, yes, we do the get dressed up in cool costumes, go for a walk in the neighborhood (in what was FABULOUS weather tonight), trick-or-treating thing. My kids know they cannot choose costumes that are scary. I have to say, I no longer have a battle with it. I so enjoy taking the kids. We had so much fun tonight. Plus, we got lots of exercise. I think we walked approximately four miles, round trip. Our kids are troopers. It was great! The weather was awesome, we didn't even need jackets, just a couple of thin layers. This was a fact that thrilled the kids since it meant Hannah Montanna and The Flash would not have to conceal their identities. It was a near perfect night. I will post some pics of the costumes, the trick-or-treating, the loot and the crash after. Won't be long. So, Happy Halloween! I hope you all had as good a time as I did.

No comments: